[Lexicog] Re: nosey words

Lameen Souag lameen at LONGNOW.ORG
Mon Apr 12 18:08:29 UTC 2004

In Arabic (Algerian colloquial, at least), "nose" (nif) is used to mean
honor or pride (or touchiness resulting from it, offering a possible
link with the Hebrew.)

In ancient Egyptian, I understand the nose was regarded as the primary
seat of life (logically enough, since you breathe through it); thus you
often have pictures of a god lifting the ankh-symbol to a Pharaoh's nose.

Lameen

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM