[Lexicog] new nosey word

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 12 21:35:52 UTC 2004

I am not a Slavicist but rather a student primarily of Uto-Aztecan (US &
Mexico) languages, but also of phonetics, so I suggest that my perception
might be taken as unbiased: I hear Slavic words with liquids as syllabic
centers, such as vlk, srpski, hrvatski, to be unconfusingly just that. In
the case of vlk, the v seems to be released directly into a lateral
articulation. If there is a shwa-like sound in the transition of the s or
h (phonetic [x]) of srpski or hrvatski, it is so brief as to defy
definition as a vowel; certainly it's not a nuclear vowel. It must also be
noted that Srpski & Hrvatski (Serbo-Croatian) have a length contrast in
syllable nuclei in r (I don't know about l), and the long vs. short
difference does not reside in the putative vanishingly brief shwa
transition.

--Ken

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511