[Lexicog] Arabic-based scripts in Shoebox on Arabic-enabled computers

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Fri Apr 16 08:16:43 UTC 2004

On 15/04/2004 23:30, Crockett wrote:

> Craig,
>
> Arabic-based scripts do not work in Shoebox. They do work in Toolbox,
> but the setup can get a little complicated. One thing you need to make
> sure you’re doing is typing the Arabic script in based on the Unicode.
> I don’t think that can be done using the normal Arabic keyboards. It
> has to be a Unicode-based keyboard or something like that. Maybe
> someone else can help explain this better. If you’re familiar with
> Keyman, that can be used to design a keyboard which types in Arabic
> Unicode characters. I think that is the main issue involved; although,
> you have to make sure you get your sorting order and case settings
> typed in as well. The newest versions of Toolbox also support
> interlinearization of Arabic-based scripts. The first versions of
> Toolbox did not.
>
> There are a lot of issues involved in this. You really need a computer
> consultant who can help you with this if you want to go with Toolbox.
> Once the consultant has you set up, things go smoothly. You need the
> correct platform and software as well. Seems like there was something
> about having to have Windows XP Professional (not an update), too.
> That may or may not be necessary.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Crockett

The Arabic keyboards which come with Windows XP are Unicode-based. But
they still may not produce exactly what is required by Toolbox. As you
say, there are some complex issues here, some of which are currently
being resolved. I would recommend Craig to e-mail toolbox at sil.org to
enquire about this.

--
Peter Kirk