[Lexicog] Arabic-based scripts in Shoebox on Arabic-enabled computers

David Joffe david.joffe at TSHWANEDJE.COM
Sat Apr 17 21:07:59 UTC 2004

I don't know about Shoebox/Toolbox, but in general for Unicode-based
applications (like Microsoft Word, or TshwaneLex) you do not need a
"Unicode-based keyboard" to enter Arabic using Unicode, nor do you need
extra 3rd party software such as Keyman. You can enter Arabic (with
Unicode encoding) directly (even with a QWERTY keyboard) with Windows
2000 or Windows XP by using one of the built-in Arabic IMEs (Input
Method Editors) in Windows ("soft keyboards"). These can be installed
via Control Panel / Regional Options or Keyboard, but if already using
an Arabic keyboard then this should not be necessary, it should
automatically work as long as the application that one is typing into
is built to support Unicode (as Craig said, Arabic can already be
selected in the language bar). This can all be done with Windows 2000
or Windows XP (regardless of update level) with no extra software
required, and generally should not require the help of a 'computer
consultant' to set up.

 - David

---
http://tshwanedje.com/