[Lexicog] Arabic-based scripts in Shoebox on Arabic-enabled computers

Crockett asigwan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 19 05:39:50 UTC 2004

Steve,

I wonder if you can use a standard Windows Unicode keyboard in Toolbox
if you need special Arabic-based characters (characters not found in the
normal Arabic alphabet). For instance, some minority languages written
in an Arabic-based script might need a gaf (گ) or a za with three dots
over it (ژ). These cannot be typed in using regular strokes on the
Arabic keyboard. You have to use ALT+NUM keys or a macro or something
like that. Is there any way you can check on that? Looking at the Arabic
Extended subset of characters, the gaf is ALT+0144 (Unicode 06AF) and
the za with three dots is ALT+0142 (Unicode 0698). Can these be entered
straight into Toolbox without a special keyboard?

Thanks,
Crockett

-----Original Message-----
From: fieldworks_support at sil.org [mailto:fieldworks_support at sil.org]
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 5:21 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Arabic-based scripts in Shoebox on Arabic-enabled
computers

I remember the first versions of Toolbox that came out had problems with
standard Windows Unicode keyboards for Russian or Arabic. But the newer
versions don't have this problem.  I have the latest test version 1.1u
and
I was able to use an Arabic keyboard in Windows 2000 to type Arabic
characters in Toolbox. Not knowing Arabic, I can't say for sure these
were
the right Arabic characters, but I think Toolbox has made progress.

The current release version of Toolbox is 1.1, which is what is
available
for download.

Steve White, Jaars language software support
704-843-6337, 1-800-215-7813

   _____

Yahoo! Groups Links
*	To visit your group on the web, go to:
HYPERLINK
"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lexicographylist/"http://groups.yahoo.com
/group/lexicographylist/

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
HYPERLINK
"mailto:lexicographylist-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe

*	Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the HYPERLINK

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---