[Lexicog] Arabic-based scripts in Shoebox on Arabic-enabled computers

Crockett asigwan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 19 11:08:30 UTC 2004

I realize that those characters are found in Farsi, but I don't see how
that helps. I see two possible situations you are suggesting. Is there
another situation I'm not seeing?

Situation 1) Use the Arabic keyboard until you get to a letter where you
need the Farsi keyboard, switch to Farsi, type it in, then go back to
the Arabic keyboard. So you're using two keyboard layouts for one word.
That doesn't seem like a good solution; and I don't know how the
ligatures would look that way.

Situation 2) Instead of using the Arabic keyboard, use a Farsi keyboard.
First of all, that would pose a problem in that the typist might not
know the Farsi keyboard whereas they would know the Arabic keyboard.
(From what I remember, they do not have the same layout.) Then there are
a couple of unknowns in situation 2 for me: Do ligatures in Farsi work
the same as in Arabic? Does Farsi have all the same characters and
diacritics that Arabic has? Is the style of Farsi writing the same as
what is acceptable and normal in Arabic?

In my message below, I only referred to two special characters - which
happen to be found in Farsi. There are other special Arabic-based
characters one might need that are not found in Farsi, only in Unicode.
In that case, I suppose you would need to follow Peter Kirk's solution
in that you'd need to create your own keyboard layout - either with a
Microsoft program or with Keyman. If that's true, then I'd kind of be
back to the question I asked below: Can these (gaf and za w/ three dots)
be entered straight into Toolbox without a special keyboard (and without
having to use an unknown keyboard or switch keyboards in the middle of a
word)?

Thanks,
Crockett