[Lexicog] Re: Topics that start out about lexicography but evolve to focus only on other matters

lexicography2004 lexicography2004 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 20 04:42:15 UTC 2004

My own philosophy of list management is to allow list members to be as
self-moderating as possible, including regarding the contents of messages. I
do not enjoy micro-managing, and, frankly, I am too busy with my own
lexicography work to micro-manage this list.

However, this list, as with other lists that have a specialty focus,
sometimes has lexicography topics that evolve to focus on linguistic topics
that are not directly related to lexicography. I would simply ask all
members who are interested in a topic that has moved from having a direct
lexicographical focus to one which is indirectly related, to move the
messages off-list and enjoy continuing the discussion among those who wish
to continue it. For now, let's let common-sense guide us. I don't want to
make up rules, but I would suggest that after two or three posts which are
no longer directly about lexicography, one of the participants active in the
discuss invite the others who wish to continue that particular topic
off-list. You should be able to get each other's email addresses from the
list messages. We could even set up a separate list for discussion of such
messages, if enough of you would consider that a good idea.

I appreciate it when someone in one of these discussions says something
like, "Well, these issues are important, but we have moved from lexical
issues." The next step, then, would be to move that particular discussion
off-list, so that the list can continue to have mostly messages focusing on
lexicography. We do not want to lose members who have subscribed wanting to
discuss lexicography, but find themselves getting quite a few messages which
began on a lexical topic, but move to focus discussion on a related topic,
which might be a matter which could be included in a dictionary, but would
not be a major focus of a dictionary, which would be definitions, lexical
relations, meaning senses, homonymy, synonymy, etc. And, of course, since
this list is not limited just to lexicographical discussion of
dictionary-making, there can also be discussion of theories of the lexicon,
how particular theories have practical application for lexicon design, etc.

So, if you find yourself part of a discussion that has moved from a lexical
focus to discussion of orthography design (yes, very important before a
dictionary is made), or pronunciation (very important for dictionaries that
have pronunciation indicated, but if the discussion focus is on phonetics,
it is time to move the discussion off-list), or the X-bar theory (which
might have impact on some lexical forms), then please help move the
discussion off-list, so that most list posts can stay as closely focused on
lexicography as possible.

At this point, I don't think we need rules about this, just continue to be
professional as posts have been, but periodically evaluate if a topic has
moved from lexicography enough to move that discussion off-list. And, if you
do move off-list, please hurry back as fast as you can, or, if you can,
multi-task (or multi-list, whatever the term might be).

As always, especially for those who have not been actively posting, everyone
who is subscribed should feel free to post any question or comment about
lexicography. We can all learn from each other here, and we are all at
different stages of growth in our interest and experience with
lexicographical research and thinking.

Thank you,
Wayne Leman
List Facilitator