[Lexicog] A prototypical blessing

Mali Translation translation_mali at SIL.ORG
Thu Apr 22 22:11:49 UTC 2004

Wayne,

One can see "blessing" as a benediction or benefaction, as
conveying God's beneficent power in word and deed.
So if Cheyenne does not have a word for blessing or the
act of blessing, does it not have a word for curse/malediction
either?

Fritz

> Wayne,
>
> Whether one is a believer or not, the word "blessing" is widely used.

I know. But Cheyenne is one of those languages which has no word for
blessing or the act of blessing and there are no formulaic blessings which
might simply not have a superordinate label.

> In English and French "to bless" can be used in the following way:
>
> 1) God blesses a human being

In Cheyenne we have used the term "to be good to someone" for this, but it
is a new usage and is only understood by Cheyennes as God being good to
someone, not necessarily as a blessing, although, of course, there is a
semantic relationship.

> 2) A human being blesses God

Humans would not do this in Cheyenne, except that they can "repeatedly say
God's name" which is a way of saying that someone is praising God.

> 3) A human being blesses another human being

Only done paralinguistically in Cheyenne, as far as I know, after 30 years
of vigorous lexical work.

> The second use is less common in modern Bible translations, where
> "to bless God" is replaced by "to praise God."

Right, as in Cheyenne

Wayne

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM