[Lexicog] salutations and leave-takings

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Fri Apr 23 16:02:45 UTC 2004

For many of us, it would seem reasonable to assume that salutations and
leave-takings would be universal. Yet, my own experience indicates that
neither are. Cheyenne, the language I work with, has neither an indigenous
salutation or leave-taking. In recent times, Cheyennes have borrowed, so now
has loan translations which translate back to English as "Good morning,"
"Good day", "Good evening", and "I'll see you again later." But those who
think about such things often recognize that they come from English. And I
suspect that they use these loan translations more with non-Cheyennes and in
"bilingual education Cheyenne" (taught in school classes) than they do in
their normal contacts with one another.

So, how about you? Are you familiar with languages which lack indigenous
salutations or leave-takings?

Wayne Leman
Cheyenne dictionary project