[Lexicog] A prototypical blessing

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Fri Apr 23 16:08:27 UTC 2004

> > Phil,
> >
> > I agree about the world view but probably we have to distinguish
> > between words and concepts.
>
> Yes, sometimes this is necessary, Fritz.
>
> > Even if a word for "blessing" does not exist in Cheyenne or Nez Perce,
> > I would imagine the idea of "conveying or transmitting power" exists.
>
> Not in Cheyenne.

I need to explain my answer a bit more : I don't think that the idea of
conveying or transmitting power has been lexicalized in Cheyenne. However,
there are many stories about people who received power from helper spirits,
animals, etc. However, the idea is there, but it is only in the script, not
lexicalized. For a people who go on vision quests and have traditionally
worked with helper spirits I find this quite interesting, that something so
culturally salient would not be lexicalized.

This, of course, raises interested questions for lexicography, doesn't it?
What is the relationship between cultural ideas and actions and
lexicalization? Is there any way of predicting what aspects of culture will
be lexicalized in a language?

Wayne Leman
Cheyenne project

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511