[Lexicog] A prototypical blessing

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Fri Apr 23 23:45:16 UTC 2004

initially, i was objecting to the idea of equating "blessing" as a
human ability, at least for such an equivalent in Nez Perce.

so i was thinking about this a bit more and i realized that it may be
an issue of pragmatic saliency.

certainly the orientation of the missionaries who introduced such words
into the Nez Perce vocabulary possessed a pragmatic oriented (hence
Christian) view where priests (and supposedly the devoted) were
"blessed" individuals who gave "blessings" to the "unblessed" through
pronouncements of various kinds.

of course, this pragmatic saliency gave the act of blessing a vocative
"power" (whatever power that might be), at least from the point of view
of the priests.  but in the Nez Perce view, this type of pragmatic
saliency is not lexicalized.  this is most likely due to the fact that
in the world view of most Nez Perce the assumption of power and the
ability to be blessed by such power is only granted by non-human
sources.  so if i went around blessing people, most people would think
i was touched in the head.  ;-)

but you are right in noting that higher powers, whatever that may be,
can bless humans.  as an example, in Nez Perce the preference would be
to say:

wéeyexnin' N. 'a person blessed by the guardian spirit, a person with
power'
wéeyek- V. 'to go to receive a spirit guardian''

such persons, however, cannot bless others unless they themselves
surrender their power.  to do so would only invite one's death.  so
too, if i said "bless you", an old timer Nez perce might take offense
as spirit guardians are life-threatening and very dangerous.

just a few of thoughts...

phil cash cash (cayuse/nez perce)
UofA