[Lexicog] dictionaries for translators

Benjamin Barrett bjb5 at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Sun Apr 25 22:01:17 UTC 2004

Japanese translators commonly use a software program named Jammin (Jamming?)
that allows them to search multiple dictionaries with one search.

I generally just use online dictionaries, though. Functions I look for are
the ability to look up single characters (I do Japanese translation), name
readings of characters, and searches from either language. Notation of
fields of specialty indicated is sometimes welcome, though that can quickly
become burdensome when a word is used in multiple fields with the same
meaning.

Another important feature is spelling. With Eijiro, for example, you often
have to guess whether to use katakana, hiragana or characters to find plant
and animal names (although they have been working to make that more
consistent).

One feature of the Microsoft Bookshelf J/E dictionary I really like is you
can search for a word within any entry. Sometimes this will yield a word
being used within an entry that indicates context sufficiently to use for
translation.

The ability to add words and especially to add words from a personal
glossary would be invaluable as well.

HTH
Benjamin Barrett