[Lexicog] English homonyms

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Mon Apr 26 07:22:05 UTC 2004

Fritz wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Thank you for your terrific examples. I need at least
> to acknowledge you publicly before suggesting that
> we move the exchange off-list because some might
> think it is not directly lexicography-related.
>
> Fritz

Before you take your item off-list ...

I don't think English is particularly remarkable or 'difficult to learn'
(whatever that means) because it has many homonyms - or specifically
homographs as you illustrate. English also has many homophones, such as

'airs' and 'heirs'
'blew' and 'blue'
'caught' and 'court'
'die' and 'dye'
'ewe' and 'yew'
'find' and 'fined'
'grade' and 'greyed'
'heard' and 'hared'
'idle' and 'idol'
'knead' and 'need'
'least' and 'leased'
'moan' and 'mown'
'paste' and 'paced'
'road' and 'rowed'
'stair' and 'stare'
'tear' and 'tare'
'vain' and 'vane' and 'vein'
'wares' and 'wears' and 'where's'

There are hundreds more ... But I had a couple of (lexicographic) points.

1) While homographs are relatively easy to pick out of a standard English
dictionary, homophones are far more difficult to connect - even for the
native speaker.

2) Notice that many of the homophones listed connect a monomorphemic word
with a polymorphemic word, e.g. 'find' and 'fined', 'paste' and 'paced', and
'wares' and 'wears' and 'where's'. The last example pairs suffixed words
with a cliticized word.

So, on this basis, should the following be considered homophones in English?

'abridge' and 'a bridge'
'acquire' and 'a choir'
'adhere' and 'a dare'
'affair' and 'a fare'