[Lexicog] English homonyms

Mali Translation translation_mali at SIL.ORG
Wed Apr 28 12:22:20 UTC 2004

Ron,

Grandmaster Sum Ting Wong says there must be something wrong with
your syntax. Did you not mean "Sum shows up all the time?"
And should it not be "rite one?" And is there not an omission
or collocational clash in "wrong one", did you not mean "the wrong
one won?" Concerning your spelling of "bee" he says that there
is in fact a problem of homonymy. He refers to the following
authorities:

To be or not to be - Shakespeare
Do-be-do-be-do     - Frank Sinatra
Do be a Do Bee, Don't be a Don't Bee - Miss Connie from Romper Room

Fritz Goerling

 The greater problem is with homophones that are
spelled differently. Theirs just to much chance of using the wrong won
instead of the write one. Sum show up all the time. Their/there/they're is
one of the most commonly confused in English. I've never scene won/one
confused. It wood bee an interesting study two determine witch our confused
and why.

Ron Mow
SIL International
Phoenix, Arizona