[Lexicog] English homonyms

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Wed Apr 28 19:00:43 UTC 2004

Your concerns are well taken. Several people have recommended that we do
user research to determine what most users want and need in a dictionary. If
no one except linguists use the pronunciation guide, then my claim is
certainly exaggerated. But I would want some survey data to base the
decision on.

One reason to include tone, even in a monolingual dictionary, is to raise
people's awareness of the features of their language. I've had the
surprising experience of finding African MA linguistics students who did not
know what tone was nor whether their mother tongue was tonal. It didn't take
much time to determine that their mother tongues were tonal and they soon
caught on to the concept. One reason why there is so much resistance to
writing tone in Africa is that people simply don't understand what it is.
(There are other reasons as well.) So marking it in a dictionary helps them
to realize that it is a part of their language. For those languages where
people have difficulty reading when tone is not marked, it is important that
they begin to accept it as part of their language and realize its importance
in literacy. Having said that, I will grant your point that mother tongue
speakers already know what the tone of a word is and don't need it marked.
The same could be said of English stress, yet most dictionaries mark it. I
will admit that I never look at the stress except perhaps upon the rare
occassion where there is a dialectal difference. I guess I lean toward
including this kind of information on the chance that some user does need
it.

Ron Moe