[Lexicog] Digest Number 112

Vanessa Combet combet at SINEQUA.COM
Fri Apr 30 09:36:59 UTC 2004

I *definitely* agree to your last point - considering the fact that stress
in English *is* a discriminating criterion (a present/to present) it is
*indispensable* to include such information for learners and others... Being
French, I need to be helped to pronounce a word like indispensable, the
exact same word existing in French being stressed differently.
Vanessa Combet
htttp://www.chez.com/vcombet

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : Karen Chung [mailto:karchung at ntu.edu.tw]
  Envoyé : jeudi 29 avril 2004 19:26
  À : lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Objet : Re: [Lexicog] Digest Number 112

  "Ron Moe" <ron_moe at sil.org> wrote:

  ...I will grant your point that mother tongue
  > speakers already know what the tone of a word is and don't need it
marked.
  > The same could be said of English stress, yet most dictionaries mark it.
  > will admit that I never look at the stress except perhaps upon the rare
  > occassion where there is a dialectal difference. I guess I lean toward
  > including this kind of information on the chance that some user does
need
  > it.

        You never look at the stress of an English word except when there's
  dialectal difference? I'm a native speaker of English, but that's often
  the one thing I've needed to look up a word for, when running into words
  like _concomitant_, _pharmacopoeia_, _polysemy_ and _cochineal_! And
  there are confusing differences as to which syllable to stress in words
  like _comparable_. It's also *definitely* information my EFL students in
  Taiwan need. Tone is basic information that native speakers of Mandarin
  Chinese include and need in their dictionaries. I agree that stress and
  tone information *should* be included in dictionaries.

          Karen Steffen Chung
          http://ccms.ntu.edu.tw/~karchung/
          http://lists.topica.com/lists/phonetics/