[Lexicog] Kirrkirr and Shoebox/Toolbox

Tim Gaved tim_gaved at SIL.ORG
Thu Aug 5 12:15:21 UTC 2004

I'm not using KirrKirr in earnest though I did download it and play with it
when it was first mentioned on the list. I thought it was a very interesting
bit of software and I managed to import my Shoebox data without too much
problem. I also played around a bit with localising the interface to use
French, which also wasn't too hard.

At the moment I've put it aside in favour of SIL Lexique Pro (formerly
LinguaLab). This doesn't do some of the more fun things that KirrKirr can
do, but what it does it does well. It also has facilities for encrypting and
compressing the dictionary, which gives you more control over who is going
to use your data.

A couple of suggestions for improvements to KirrKirr:

	- Someway of presenting "directionality" in the networks would be
useful. For example with a Tree/Fruit relationship, someway of indicating
which is the tree and which is the fruit. Or with a causative relationship
which is the root form.
	- A way of limiting which relationships are shown at any time. (I've
forgotten whether this is already there and I don't have KirrKirr in front
of me)

Tim Gaved
SIL Senegal

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM