[Lexicog] missing word

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Thu Aug 5 15:09:52 UTC 2004

My wife and I are having a senior moment (which has lasted for a day or
longer!). We are trying to remember a certain English word which refers to
the way that a list of medical symptoms groups together so that a specific
diagnosis is quite likely. We have checked thesauri and our own mental
databanks and come up with the following synonyms, but we are still missing
the word itself. Perhaps one or more of you can come up with the word we
sense that we are missing.

Synonyms:

complex, coalesce, conspire, congregate, confluence, conflux, group, union,
set, junction, syndrome, complex

The missing word should fit in the following sentence:

"The ______ of symptoms leads us to believe that one diagnosis is most
likely out of the several possible diagnoses."

The word "complex" seems most likely right now, but I'm not getting that
"Euraka!" feeling about it that I usually get when having one of these
vocabulary senior moments and then the word pops into mind.

Thank you,
Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman