[Lexicog] Re:_languages_represented_on_this_list_--_Inezeño_Chumash

Richard Applegate jamatra at PACBELL.NET
Thu Aug 5 20:34:01 UTC 2004

Hi Ken,

The spelling "Inezeño" comes from the name of the Mission Santa Ynez; I've seen "Ynezeño" as an alternate spelling, and more rarely both I/Y forms with an "s" instead of a "z."  I think, but wouldn't bet my life on it, that "Inezeño" is a bit more common in published references.

You're right, "Ineceño" would lead English speakers to use an "s" instead of a "z," but it obscures the origin of the name in "Ynez."  As you surmise, Harrington routinely used "Inezeño" or the abbreviation "I" and it stuck that way in my brain decades ago.

Regards, Richard

"Kenneth C. Hill" <kennethchill at yahoo.com> wrote:
Why the spelling "Inezeño" rather than the correct Spanish "Ineceño"
(though capitalized, of course, for use in English)? (The phoneme in
question is spelled za, ce, ci, zo, zu, -z in Spanish. Ze and zi are
restricted to a few surnames and foreign words.) Is this on account of
J.P. Harrington's usage in his fieldnotes?

--Ken