[Lexicog] missing word

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri Aug 6 10:53:33 UTC 2004

  Would "coincidence of symptoms" (= "Zusammentreffen von Symptomen" in
German) work in English?
  Fritz Goerling

  My wife and I are having a senior moment (which has lasted for a day or
  longer!). We are trying to remember a certain English word which refers to
  the way that a list of medical symptoms groups together so that a specific
  diagnosis is quite likely. We have checked thesauri and our own mental
  databanks and come up with the following synonyms, but we are still
missing
  the word itself. Perhaps one or more of you can come up with the word we
  sense that we are missing.

  Synonyms:

  complex, coalesce, conspire, congregate, confluence, conflux, group,
union,
  set, junction, syndrome, complex

  The missing word should fit in the following sentence:

  "The ______ of symptoms leads us to believe that one diagnosis is most
  likely out of the several possible diagnoses."

  The word "complex" seems most likely right now, but I'm not getting that
  "Euraka!" feeling about it that I usually get when having one of these
  vocabulary senior moments and then the word pops into mind.

  Thank you,
  Wayne
  -----
  Wayne Leman