[Lexicog] Almost

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Fri Aug 6 16:35:57 UTC 2004

Ron

In Persian 'almost/nearly' is most commonly expressed either by *nazdik*
'near, nearly* or *tagriban* 'almost, nearly, approximately'. The most
commonly occurring form in the Persian texts I have is *nazdik*. This may be
because *nazdik* is the Persian word and *tagriban* is an Arabic borrowing
derived from *tagrib* 'approximation'. It is interesting, therefore, that in
all the English-Persian dictionaries I have *almost* is always glossed as
'tagriban'. I believe that *tagriban* and *nazdik* have a similar range of
usage in Persian as *almost* has in English, but you would have to check
this with a native speaker. But Persian is Indo-European, so this is what
you might expect.

John Roberts

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM