[Lexicog] Re: Kirrkirr and Shoebox/Toolbox

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Fri Aug 13 12:25:20 UTC 2004

Vanessa Combet wrote:

> not only does "shallow thinking" provoke discussion, it may also generate
> digression...

IMHO,  this isn't a digression at all, but a welcome discussion topic.
(Others might disagree...)

> I would like to point out that several groups of experts are
> working right now on the project of elaborating standards for the
> representation of lexical resources - cf. http://www.tc37sc4.org/ ...
> In particular there's a proposition concerning a "Data Category Registry"
> (DCR) for language resources which is supposed to offer the possibility of
> representing every POS possible for every language - all this being
> "compatible" XML, OWL, OLIF, etc.

This is under WG (= Working Group) 1, whose topic is "Basic descriptors
and mechanisms for language resources". (Seems to be the only working
group that has anything substantive on their web page.  Maybe the other
WGs ll get s.t. up after the meetings later this month--see
http://www.tc37sc4.org/events_upcoming.htm.)

The DCR (Data Category Registry) itself is described at

    http://www.tc37sc4.org/WG1/doc/wg1N26.pdf

and other docs by this WG at

    http://www.tc37sc4.org/WG1/wg1_documents.htm

Work by Scott Farrar, now at U of Brennan, and Gary Simons, of SIL, on
ontologies of linguistic concepts is cited.  Both have good contact with
the field linguistics community, so this work would appear to have a
broad base.  Scott's recent PhD dissertation was on the "Gold ontology",
work being done at U of Arizona under Terry Langendoen on a broad-based
ontology of linguistic concepts.  (This is under the EMELD project,
which some of you may be familiar with.)

--
	Mike Maxwell
	Linguistic Data Consortium
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu