[Lexicog] Re: Kirrkirr and Shoebox/Toolbox

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Sun Aug 15 21:24:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Mike Maxwell wrote:
> > In other words, rather than providing singular and plural fields
> > allow for multiple generic formname-form pairs of fields.
>
> Maybe I wasn't communicating this well--there is no intent in FW of
> providing a slot in your dictionary, say, for the dual form of
> something.  Rather, there is provision for slots for irregular forms
> (nothing limits it to irregular forms, but it doesn't make sense to do
> this for regular forms) + associated morphosyntactic information.
>
> So if in some language an irregular form that you want to list in your
> dictionary entry, 'tengo', for example, then you create a minor entry,
> type in the form (or copy it from some text), and assign it whatever
> gloss/morphosyntactic features you want, maybe
>    1SgPresIndic' =
>    [[Subj [[Pers 1][Num Sg]]][Tense Pres][Mood Indic]]
> (there is a way of viewing this information either as a gloss or as a
> morphosyntactic feature structure)

Apparently I didn't understand you.  This sounds like what I was
recommending, modulo some additional information about entries and
subentries.

> I'm not clear what you're suggesting here.  Let me offer something that
> I'm certain is _not_ what you're suggesting: I once worked with a
> grammar (it shall remain nameless here) that used numbers to encode the
> relations among affixes, slots, POSs etc.  I guess it was formal, and
> specified the logic, but even after I had studied the language for a
> month and had some feel for how it worked, I found it nearly impossible
> to understand this grammar.  I ended up writing names alongside all the
> numbers.

Hmm.  Sounds like one of those Voegelin-supervised Siouan grammars!
Fortunately the fashion didn't last.

I was saying that it is better to offer a pair of fields

formname 1sgPresIndic
form tengo

than a  pre-determined list of

1sgPresIndic tengo