[Lexicog] Digest Number 175

Lameen Souag lameen at LONGNOW.ORG
Fri Aug 13 18:49:46 UTC 2004

In Algerian Arabic it's pretty boring: t.ir el-lil (< t.ayr ul-layl) =
"night bird" or "night flyer".  In Chaouia Berber, apparently, it's
iferTiTu - an onomatopeic-seeming word probably related to the Berber
root afer "fly (v.)", which, slightly modified, refers in Algerian
Arabic (and other Berber languages) to the butterfly: bu-ferTeTTu.

Lameen Souag

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM