[Lexicog] Re: Kirrkirr and Shoebox/Toolbox

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Mon Aug 16 22:32:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Mike Maxwell wrote:
> Then we agree--and more to the point, the notion of a 'Minor Entry' in
> the FieldWorks project is similar to what you describe.  Actually, it
> adds several other things to the pair: ....

Yes, we agree, and I'm relieved that the FieldWorks project takes this
approach.  The whole minor entry thing sounds reasonable, too, of course.

We thought about minor entries and how to handle them quite extensively in
the aborted Dakota Dictionary project at the U of Colorado.  I figured we
should generate them in the major entry in Shoebox and use a script to
pull them to the top instead or too, as and if desired.  In most cases
these were regular enough as formed, but the issues surrounded the lexical
status of some derivational stems, e.g., datives and reflexive
possessives:  their possible unpredictability in gloss, and/or an unknown
degree of productivity.

I love minor entries.  Minor entries floated to the top are all that saved
me years back in Greek I and II.  *grin*

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM