[Lexicog] I need a negative word for amazed

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BLUEFELTHAT.ORG
Tue Aug 17 23:23:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 20:42, Mike Sangrey wrote:
> I'm looking for a synonym for 'amazed' but it needs to have strong
> negative connotations.  With 'amazed' I think of "wow, that's
> impressive".  I need a word that continues to carry the idea of 'wow' or
> 'significant surprise' but has coupled with it the concepts of 'anger'
> and possibly a 'deep frustration'
>
> I'll tell you why in a little bit; but first I'd like some help if at
> all possible.

Thank you everyone.  I was looking at Mat. 22:15-22 and was bothered by
the NIV's translation at the end of the text:  "When they heard this,
they were amazed."  The NASB has 'marveled'.  Those words didn't seem to
fit a context where a group of people are trying to trick someone else.
I couldn't think of another word that would fit well and yet not lose
the core meaning of the original.  So I came to those who know words.

I really liked Kim Blewett's answer--'stunned'.  However, Shelley
Dufoe's 'astonished' is quite good.  Also, rather interestingly, I just
checked the NET and it has 'stunned'.

What got me started on this, BTW, was dealing with the sentence:  "Give
to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's"  I discovered two
things:  This is the only place in Mat. where the Herodians are
specifically mentioned as participants AND the very last words of
Mattathias Maccabaeus (who the Herodians would have had strong
associations with at the time of Christ) were:  "Pay back the Gentiles
in full, and obey the commands of the law."  There HAS GOT to be an
allusion there.  It appears Jesus has turned revolution thinking on its
head with several double meanings.  Fascinating!

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM