[Lexicog] I need a negative word for amazed

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Tue Aug 17 23:40:32 UTC 2004

On 18/08/2004 00:23, Mike Sangrey wrote:

>What got me started on this, BTW, was dealing with the sentence:  "Give
>to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's"  I discovered two
>things:  This is the only place in Mat. where the Herodians are
>specifically mentioned as participants AND the very last words of
>Mattathias Maccabaeus (who the Herodians would have had strong
>associations with at the time of Christ) were:  "Pay back the Gentiles
>in full, and obey the commands of the law."  There HAS GOT to be an
>allusion there.  It appears Jesus has turned revolution thinking on its
>head with several double meanings.  Fascinating!

Wow! I'm stunned, no, one of the positive words. The Mattathias
reference is 1 Maccabees 2:68, where the Greek is ANTAPODOTE (=
ANTI-APO-DO-TE), whereas in Matthew it is APODOTE. But the allusion is
clear (but has been missed by Nestle-Aland and the UBS Greek NT) - but
of course Mattathias was talking of revenge, but Jesus of paying one's
taxes.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)