[Lexicog] Technology-Enhanced Language Revitalization

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Wed Aug 18 21:26:49 UTC 2004

On 18/08/2004 20:16, Mike Maxwell wrote:

>I've always thought it would be good for Uncle Bill (who is, I fear,
>plenty young enough to be my nephew) to get involved in the endangered
>languages movement.  I personally think they are best positioned to
>develop software to document endangered languages, but certainly any
>contribution is welcome.  One motivation for them would be producing a
>non-ephemeral result: after all, who's going to be using Microsoft
>Windows fifty years from now?  But if they did something to preserve (in
>some form) endangered languages, then the fruits of their labor stand a
>good chance of being used a thousand years from now.

This conjures up for me a wonderful image of 50 years in the future, an
aging Bill and Melinda (having lost their fortune in the great Microsoft
crash) showing off one of the last surviving Windows systems, and
appealing (perhaps to the Linus Torvalds Fund?) for funding for an
Endangered Operating Systems Foundation. :-)

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM