[Lexicog] negative word for amazed

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Thu Aug 19 19:10:50 UTC 2004

On 19/08/2004 19:50, Ron Moe wrote:

>As I "define" a domain, I have two choices: (1) define a single English
>word, which then becomes the head word, or (2) look at the semantics of a
>large group of words and determine if there is a common component. In the
>case of the English word 'shock' I would agree that it can be used in a
>positive situation: "I was shocked to learn that I had won the lottery." ...

I wonder if the issue here may be being confused by dialect differences.
In my British English "shock" cannot be positive. The above sentence
would make sense only if the speaker was someone who had spoken out
about the evils of lotteries but for whom someone else had bought a ticket.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM