[Lexicog] What is a bat? - natural and unnatural terms

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Thu Aug 19 21:20:54 UTC 2004

Peter,

Your comment (below) on universals is well taken. None of us can make any
claims about universals because we haven't yet investigated every language.
Instead we have to make statements like, "No language has yet been found
that...." Some years back I was encouraged to look for universals, since
that was one of the primary goals of linguistics. Subsequently I've fallen
into the habit (error?) of speculating on universals. Since semantics and
lexicography are not very well developed disciplines (at least in the area
of universals), we should be talking about tendencies or frequently observed
patterns. A counter example can disprove an exceptionless law, but not an
observation about tendency or frequency. If I would just leave out the
allness statements, I'd be OK. So perhaps a better wording of the question
would be, "Is there a tendency for languages to form major categories for
'flying animals' 'animals that move on land' and 'water dwelling animals'?
If so, what tendencies can we observe for what is considered to be
prototypical? What animals are most typically included or excluded from each
category? What features are usually considered essential or more important
in each category (e.g. 'feathered' is more important than 'flying' in the
English category 'bird': flightless bird, *featherless bird)? What other
categories or subcategories are frequently found in languages (e.g.
'domesticated animals' is probably common, 'crustaceans' is probably
uncommon)?

Ron