[Lexicog] definitions vs glosses and domain/context

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Fri Aug 20 07:02:45 UTC 2004

Mike,
Actually your point is hugely critical. A list of glosses is not a
definition. Greek lexicons are notorious for listing translation equivalents
and failing to define. Look up a word like proskuneo and you will find "to
make obeisance, do reverence to, worship" (Abbott-Smith). (It actually means
"to bow before a king signifying submission to his authority.") Your desire
for "full but precise" definitions challenges and confounds us all.
Generally a list of translation equivalents in a bilingual dictionary or a
list of synonyms in a monolingual dictionary does little but identify the
semantic domain to which the word belongs. I've found that the only way to
understand the meaning of a word is to thoroughly study the contexts in
which the word occurs, looking for patterns in the collocates and scenarios.
Once you have found the patterns, it usually isn't too hard to word your
definition to include each major feature. For instance proskuneo collocates
with words like 'king, kingdom, crown, throne, lord, servant'. Aha, the word
has something to do with kings! It also collocates with 'bow, kneel,
ground'. Aha, it is a physical action, actually a symbolic act. What does it
symbolize? Clue--the failure to bow is punished by death. The grammar is
'someone proskuneo toward/before someone'. Put it all together and you have
a full definition. Then the challenge is to tighten it up, cut out the
verbage, and make sure it is clear.

Ron Moe