[Lexicog] A few Lexique questions

Richard Margetts richard_margetts at SIL.ORG
Tue Aug 31 14:45:45 UTC 2004

Richard,

Encouraging to hear that you and others are finding Lexique Pro useful.
Thanks for the feedback - it's always good to hear of how/where it's being
used.

> I think Richard is in a location now where it is not so easy
> for him to give details responses to Lexique Pro questions, but that may
> change after awhile.

I'm still around for a few more days, but like Wayne says I'll soon be
travelling for a few weeks without much email access.

> My main question: I don't want EVERY Inezeño entry to show a
> reverse gloss, so I used a \re field.  For example, I'd like a
> derivative that shows up twice in Inezeño (once as itself and once
> under the term it's derived from) to show up only once in the
> English panel.  And that way the English gloss with \eg can include
> additional info, such as "to be red," rather than just
> "red" in the case of stative verbs, to reinforce that it's a
> verb and not an English adjective.
>
> Unfortunately, the English sort keeps coming out based on the \eg
> field, so all the verbs show up under "to __" and "to be
> __" rather than being based on something like \re see ; look.
> What am I doing wrong here?

Where does Lexique Pro get the English words from for the reversal?

1. If the entry contains no \re reversal fields, it takes the English
straight from the gloss field (normally \ge). e.g.

  \lx bilenman
  \ge red ; brown
  \de the colour red or brown

	---> "red" and "brown" appear in the English list

2. If the entry contains a reversal field \re, it uses this data rather than
the gloss field. e.g.

  \lx bilenman
  \ge to be red ; to be brown
  \re red ; brown

	---> "red" and "brown" appear in the English list

3. If the reversal field contains an asterisk, \re *, the entry is not
included in the reversal.

  \lx bilenman
  \ge to be red ; to be brown
  \re *

	---> this entry does not appear in the English list.

Note that if you have several senses for an entry, you need to supply
reversal info for each, e.g.

  \lx bilenman
  \sn 1
  \ge to be red
  \re red

  \sn 2
  \ge to be brown
  \re brown

> Is there a limit on how many example lines with \xv I can use?

I don't think there is a limit. Can you give us an example of one of your
records where lines are being cut off?

> Is there a way to format the \bw line so that it displays in
> Unicode?

Not yet, sorry. I've made a note of this for a future version.

Thanks for the other "wish list" suggestions.

Best regards,
Richard.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM