[Lexicog] Dictionary-Related Patent

Philip Trauring philip at TRAURING.COM
Mon Dec 6 19:05:05 UTC 2004

Several years ago I filed and was issued a patent related to the
production of dictionaries. It's application is not exclusive to the
production of dictionaries, but dictionaries were a primary
inspiration. In any event, my career has headed in a different
direction and I haven't had much time to work on my original concept.
Recently, however, I've been approached by a fairly large company that
is interested in buying the patent. They seem to want to license it out
(as well as litigate it). While their offer isn't so bad, I figure it's
in my best interest to see if any publishers (or other related
organizations) are interested in the patent before selling it to a
company which I really don't know much about. I guess I'd rather have
it fall into familiar hands.

For those skilled dictionary editors reading this, don't take offense,
but the patent describes a method of editing content such as dictionary
definitions using many relatively unskilled editors to accomplish the
same outcome as fewer skilled editors. Quantity begets Quality. It's
original intent was to be the basis of an on-line dictionary project
which would allow the public to contribute, without the public abusing
that freedom. The method described gets around some of the problems
associated with wikis (in fact the original concept pre-dated the
introduction of wikis).

I don't want to start a discussion of the merits of the method, or even
the merits of having a patent in this area (which is an entirely
different debate), which is why I have not gone into detail here on how
the system works. What I would like to find out is if there is any
interest from any of the companies represented on this list in finding
out more about the patent and the possibility of licensing or
purchasing it. One way or the other it is going to be sold or licensed
soon, so I figured it was worthwhile to see if there was additional
interest in it before selling it.

This will be my only post on this list related to this issue. If you
are interested in hearing more please contact me directly via e-mail
(soon).

Thank you,

Philip Trauring

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM