[Lexicog] Etymology of Christmas, Yule, Weihnachten etc.

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Mon Dec 20 11:58:45 UTC 2004

On 19/12/2004 22:52, Fritz Goerling wrote:

>>>From Fritz Goerling
>
>I am interested in how different languages name "Christmas" and where the
>word
>comes from. ...
>
>Noel in French comes from Latin natalis (dies) = birth (day).

Azerbaijani uses "milad" or "milad günü", which is from the Arabic and
also simply means "birth (day)". It is interesting that even in a
majority Islamic group it is the birth of Jesus which is called just
"birth". Derived from this, "miladi" is used (as also in Turkish) as the
equivalent of "AD" for numbering years - the common system in the
Republic of Azerbaijan, although sometimes referred to as "eramız" =
"our era" following Soviet practice.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)