[Lexicog] Interesting lexical discoveries

Marco Baroni baroni at SSLMIT.UNIBO.IT
Tue Feb 3 10:38:44 UTC 2004

This is a very interesting message, and it is quite inspirational as I am
preparing a lecture on collocations... ;-)

Just one small note:

> 3. Collocational patterns seem obvious when pointed out, but are not easily
> called to mind. From this I conclude that social salience (what we actually
> do with language) and cognitive salience (what we think and say that we do)
> are independent variables.  If this is right, introspection is a flawed
> research technique -- downright misleading, in fact.

Introspection is a flawed technique IF you are researching social
salience, but that doesn't mean that cognitive salience is not an
interesting topic by itself, does it? (Although probably not one that
would be of interest to lexicographers...)

Regards,

Marco

Marco Baroni
SSLMIT, University of Bologna