[Lexicog] corpus + cognitive linguistics. WAS: Interesting lexical discoveries

Murray Salisbury murray_salisbury at SIL.ORG
Tue Feb 3 13:23:10 UTC 2004

Do you, or anyone else, know of anyone combining corpus linguistics with the
cognitive linguistics of Langacker, Taylor, et al?

In passing, a thought on one aspect of your reply to Marco:

> No one ever writes down an example of the most common use in both the
> British National Corpus -- [[Abstract Entity]] total {QUANT [[Numerical
> Value]]}, e.g.
>
> "Foreign investment totalled $708m. in 1989"
> "jail sentences totalling 19 years"
>
> This latter pattern is even more common in the AP newswire corpus 1992-3,
> which I am also using (over 90%), but it is not cognitvely salient.
>
> Why is this? Various hypotheses, among them: ...

Would another hypothesis be that you are working with a skewed corpus?
Journalism has its own peculiar style and genre, where the use of abstracts
in general (and, especially, of abstracts as subjects of verbs) would be
much more common than in everyday speech or in many other written genres. (I
am working with the corpus of Biblical Hebrew, which is not only closed and
very much more limited in size, but it's also definitely skewed, especially
in terms of its subject matter. It is hardly a typical sampling of the
language.)

Best regards,

Murray Salisbury
SIL, England