[Lexicog] Interesting lexical discoveries

Paviour-Smith, Martin M.paviour-smith at MASSEY.AC.NZ
Tue Feb 3 20:13:51 UTC 2004

Regarding the 'crash' meaning of total, I wonder if humans see  transitive physical event-type verbs as  more prototypical than abstract processes such as the journalism usage of total.
Regards
Martin Paviour-Smith
School of Language Studies
Linguistics and Second Language Teaching
Massey University
Private Bag 11 222
Palmerston North
Ph 356 9099 ext 2195

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Hanks [mailto:hanks at bbaw.de]
Sent: Wednesday, 4 February 2004 1:13 a.m.
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Interesting lexical discoveries

I think cognitive salience is of great interest.  Here's a little thought experiment that I do with groups of native speakers of English: I ask them to write down a natural, normal sentence of English using TOTAL as a verb.

Always, the majority (over 50% - sometimes 90%) write down something like "My sister totaled the car" -- i.e. [[Person]] total [[Vehicle]]
(Meaning: my sister wrecked the car so badly that the insurers had to write it off.)

Some thoughtful souls write down something like
"The accountant totaled the column of figures"
-- i.e. [[Person]] total [[Quantity]]

No one ever writes down an example of the most common use in both the British National Corpus -- [[Abstract Entity]] total {QUANT [[Numerical Value]]}, e.g.

"Foreign investment totalled $708m. in 1989"
"jail sentences totalling 19 years"

This latter pattern is even more common in the AP newswire corpus 1992-3, which I am also using (over 90%), but it is not cognitvely salient.

Why is this? Various hypotheses, among them:

1. Human beings are anthropocentric: we will always think first of a human subject doing something, rather than an abstract entity.  But that does not explain why, with "X treated Y" (with no adverbial -- "treating someone well" is different), the rare interpretation "X was giving something to Y or paying for something for Y" prevails over the more common use "X was in the role of doctor and Y was in the role of patient".

2. Human beings are designed to register (and recall) the comparatively new, while burying the familiar deep in the subconscious -- not available for easy recall.

There are several other verbs with which the experiment can be repeated, with similar results.  I have not done it with nouns.

Something to think about ....

Patrick

   Dr Patrick Hanks
    Berater, Digitales Wörterbuch der Deutschen Sprache,
    Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften,
    Jägerstrasse 22-23,
    Berlin 10117,
    Germany.
    Phone: + 49 30 20370 539