[Lexicog] Percentage of idioms vs single words

Philippe Humble humble at CCE.UFSC.BR
Wed Feb 4 14:00:35 UTC 2004

Dear Ron,

Very interesting observations! I hadn’t looked at it that way yet. You
probably already know, but in case you don't, John Sinclair has very
interesting considerations on collocations, multi-word items and the like
in his ‘Corpus, Concordance, Collocation’. Not a very recent publication,
but still very inspiring. I don't have the book here, but I think it's
Chapter 8. In the dictionary I have been working on intermittently for the
last 14 years (Portuguese-Spanish; one way; only translated examples) I
reached the same conclusion to the point that headwords were actually
reduced to the number of 5000. The fact that it’s also an electronic
dictionary allows me not to be obliged to think about how I would go about
if I had to classify the multi-word items in a paper dictionary. (Here also
Sinclair’s brief remarks are seminal.) The never-sufficiently-praised (as
Don Quixote would say) Oxford English-Spanish Dictionary was a milestone in
that respect. (There could be an earlier one
) But in this dictionary many
of the words in one language are simply not translated but ‘used’ in a
multi-word item. Which is then translated. (heedless: heedless OF sth:
heedless of the danger, the regiment
 haciendo caso omiso del peligro, el
regimiento
). Maybe multi-word items are predominant because that’s where
common words acquire their meaning.

As for Patrick Hanks’ remarks on corpus, I totally agree, but I have a few
observations. Everything depends on what you aim at with the examples of
your dictionary (since this is what the corpus is used for). I was a
critical observer at Cobuild 2 for a year. I started accepting what they
called their ‘orthodoxy’, of accepting all corpus material as evidence. I
ended up being convinced that producing evidence on language is one thing,
and writing a dictionary a different one. It’s difficult to make a good
product if you’re at the same time trying to make theoretical point.
I do think that, even allowing for some bias due to the almost exclusively
written input of most corpora, that corpora reflect the real usage of
words, on the condition that you know how to evaluate the data, i.e.,
introspectively. A great number of assertions, which I thought were beyond
attack, crumbled when I started revising my own Portuguese-Spanish
dictionary, and when I started learning Japanese a few years ago. In other
words, when I started to confront my theoretical convictions with my
practice as a language teacher and learner. If you want to teach a learner
a word using not-meddled-with corpus examples, you need a lot of them. Say,
twenty, depending on the case. And when you deal with a language pair of
very different families -- Indo-european/Japanese – you must forget about
using ‘natural (corpus) examples’ and resort to ‘grammatical examples’
excluding exactly multi-word items.
The main question is ‘what do I want my dictionary to help with?’ If the
answer is ‘describe the language’, it seems beyond any doubt that corpora
can help, or even ‘are’ the dictionary. If the answer is ‘teach a
language’, which is what learner’s dictionaries presumably aim at, then the
answer is not so clear. Monolingual dictionaries were invented, très
tardivement, with a mixture of political and scientific intentions. They
are the treasure room of knowledge on language. The aims of dictionaries
with a concrete aim, foreign language dictionaries, are wholly different
and have to take into account the wishes of the audience, also the
unconscious ones. A vast topic.

Philippe Humblé
Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (Brasil)