[Lexicog] Forest fires and wood fires

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Thu Feb 5 13:01:10 UTC 2004

On 05/02/2004 04:28, Patrick Hanks wrote:

> [...]
Yes, you may quote me. For example, Russian пожар (pozhar) is only an
accidental destructive fire; a fire in a hearth is огонь (ogon') and a
bonfire is костёр (kost'or). In Azerbaijani yanğın is an accidental
fire; a deliberate fire is od or atəş; a bonfire is tonqal; the word od
is not used in the monolingual dictionary definition of either of the
other two. Turkish seems to have a similar distinction between yangın
(accidental) and ateş (deliberate); a bonfire is an open air ateş.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511