[Lexicog] Forest fires and wood fires

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Fri Feb 6 14:16:28 UTC 2004

And in PNG too, where most cultures still practise a slash and burn
agriculture. Here fire is viewed more as a useful tool for controlling and
exploiting the environment. Fire is considered friend rather than foe. (The
true meaning of "friendly fire"!?) I have been on hunting/foraging trips in
the forest and the men have stopped for a break and lit a fire just for the
company.

John Roberts