[Lexicog] Theoretical constructs vs. practical reference dictionaries

Lou Hohulin lou_hohulin at SIL.ORG
Mon Feb 9 17:40:08 UTC 2004

Thank you, Ken Hill, for reminding us of this distinction.

In your e-mail, you mentioned putting a fair amount of grammatical information in the Hopi dictionary.  I'd like to raise some questions about the amount of grammatical information that we should put in 'practical reference dictionaries'. I am writing a descriptive grammar, along with the compilation of a dictionary of a largely undocumented language (Tuwali Ifugao - Austronesian, Philippine-type), and am attempting to integrate the information between the two products. However, decisions regarding what should be put in the dictionary, as well as in the grammar, are difficult. Is there a principled way to make consistent decisions?

I also noted Rich Rhodes comments about the lexicon and grammar being a 'continuum' -- that isn't the way he stated it, but essentially I agree with that theoretical position; however, when it comes to the practical task of producing helpful dictionaries and grammars, we desperately need a theoretically sound basis for deciding 'what goes where'.

I am using the SIL-developed program, LinguaLinks, which allows me to interlinearize text, and then, attested examples from the texts can be seen in entries. Also, there is an annotation field that allows grammatical information, encyclopedic information, etc. In addition, there is a thesaurus program which allows ease in classifying words into domains. The domains are not always as unique as I need for the language; however, it is a tremendously helpful program for clearly defining the differences in large numbers of very specific words.

Lou Hohulin

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM