[Lexicog] Theoretical constructs vs. practical reference dictionaries

Koontz John E john.koontz at COLORADO.EDU
Sat Feb 14 02:55:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, 'Lou Hohulin' wrote:
> The language does have lots of prefixing, infixing and reduplication and
> roots undergo many morpho-phonological changes in form , but it seems
> that none of us lexicographers for Philippines languages have found any
> way of compiling anything but root dictionaries (particularly for verb
> roots, nouns are not a problem since noun morphemes are also words
> unless they are derived).

This sounds like the problem I mentioned a while back with regard to the
Siouan languages, though the derivational morphology there is all
prefixal.  There are simple roots that are nominal, and there are things
that look like verbs (or clauses) morphologically (and may be inflected as
verbs), but act like derived nouns in textual and lexical terms.  In
between there are noun-noun and noun-verb compounds (really simple
clauses).

Send the freshest Valentine's flowers with a FREE vase from only $29.99!
Shipped direct from the grower with a 7 day freshness guarantee and prices so low you save 30-55% off retail!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_iAw9B/xdlHAA/3jkFAA/HKE4lB/TM