[Lexicog] Korean and Toolbox

Benjamin Barrett bjb5 at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Feb 17 22:43:19 UTC 2004

Thank you, Martin, for the detailed reply.

I have to apologize to the list and particularly those answering my
questions. Even though Korean was the default language on my computer at
start-up, I just discovered that my non-Unicode language setting was set to
Japanese. (I think this is what you meant, Martin, by system codepage.) I
was positive I had been testing with Korean :(

The good news is that Toolbox is operating just fine with Korean without
Keyman!

The Korean IME appears in the upper left-corner of the screen (somewhat
distracting), but when a hangul is complete or after a space is pressed, the
hangul appears in the Toolbox field. Also, pressing right Ctrl with a hangul
in the IME brings up the list of Korean characters (hanja). To switch
between alphabet and hangul input, press right Alt.

For people unfamiliar with the non-Unicode language setting, go to Control
Panel -> Language Options -> Regional and Language Options -> Advanced, and
select Korean for the Language for non-Unicode Programs. This is for Windows
XP (and I believe Windows 2000 Pro but not Windows ME).

Note that you have to install Korean on your system, first. Control Panel ->
Language Options -> Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> Details ->
Add, and add Korean.

The sequence may differ slightly at the beginning depending on how your
Control Panel is configured.

I'll still need to test output and other parts of Toolbox to make sure
everything is functional. I did try entering Korean, closing and reopening,
and the hangul was maintained.

Should I forward this e-mail to the Busemans through the Toolbox Webpage?

Best regards
Benjamin Barrett