[Lexicog] Korean and Toolbox

Martin Hosken martin_hosken at SIL.ORG
Thu Feb 19 04:00:46 UTC 2004

Dear Patrick,

>From: martin_hosken at sil.org
>Yes. But be aware that the data is not being stored in Unicode but in the
>Korean multi-byte legacy encoding. THis is not a problem assuming you are
>aware that that is what is going on.

>I could've sworn that Toolbox would store data in Unicode rather than
legacy
encodings, given the blurb below. If this is the case, then perhaps more
detailed accounts of the extent of Unicode support is required...

Toolbox does both. You can store data in legacy encodings alongside data in
Unicode (UTF-8). Each field has an associated language and part of the
settings for a language include whether the encoding is Unicode or not.
Thus Toolbox is 100% backwardly compatible with older Shoebox files.

For Unicode fields, Toolbox has to get Unicode keyboard events, and
currently the only way it can do this is to receive them from Keyman (due
to reasons listed in a previous message). Therefore, the only way to get
Korean into a Toolbox field is to make that field use a legacy encoding
identical to the system codepage which has been set to Korean.

Thus our friend may well (and would have to) use a Unicode encoding for his
IPA data and use Keyman to enter that, along with a legacy byte encoding
for his Korean which he enters via an IME.

Yours,
Martin

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/HKE4lB/TM