[Lexicog] postalveolar t

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Fri Feb 20 12:06:26 UTC 2004

On 19/02/2004 18:43, Rudolph C Troike wrote:

> A somewhat simplistic question, in the midst of the Korean-Toolbox
> discussion. I have been using WordPerfect 5.1 for all of my work, but
> pressures for transportability, convertibility, etc., have led me to start
> using MS Word, which conveniently supplies a number of common phonetic
> symbols. However, it doesn't have a post-alveolar [t] with a dot under it,
> and neither does the SIL IPA initial downloadable set. Unfortunately, it's
> common in California Indian languages, which I'm trying to work with, but
> several people I've asked who work with these languages don't have a
> solution. Does anyone on the list have a suggestion?
>
>       Thanks,
>
>       Rudy Troike

This is mainly a font issue. t with dot below is not included in the
Microsoft core fonts. It is included in some other fonts which come with
Windows including Arial Unicode MS. It is also included in some very
good freely downloadable fonts such as Gentium and TITUS Cyberbut Basic,
and in the version of Doulos SIL which I have.

You can type this character in Word (2002 at least) by typing 1E6D,
Alt-X. The capital is 1E6C, Alt-X. You can set up your own shortcut keys
from Insert Symbol.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)