[Lexicog] graphic representation of sounds

Louis Janus janus005 at UMN.EDU
Tue Feb 24 16:28:10 UTC 2004

I have just joined this group, and I must admit that the collection
of links on the link page is fantastic. I am very impressed.

Just a small piece of background before I ask my question.

I'm at the early stages of developing / writing a learners'
dictionary for Norwegian -- I'll spare you most of the details and
thoughts about this now, but maybe later....

I plan to include digitized (or synthetic?) sound samples for all /
most of the words. After all, learners need to hear the words, right?
But I also want to show the sounds, probably in a modified IPA or
some system.

I'm searching for ideas to give a good graphic representation of the
vowel length, syllable stress, and tone (Norwegian has two tonemes)
-- all those three are related, and I'm  thinking here that perhaps
animation (with the long or short part of the word stretching), and
also showing up and down tone patterns. I definitely think this type
of graphic would help learners (while they listen to the word, for
example), but it has to be simple and clear.

Do any subscribers have ideas of who to graphically represent
pronunciation -- either / both on paper and on the computer screen.
(My dictionary will be both paper and CD ROM / DVD.

Thanks for any ideas, comments, pointers.

Louis Janus
Louis Janus, Ph.D.
  Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTL) Project
  Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA)
  University of Minnesota
  617 Heller Hall
  271 19th Avenue So.
  Minneapolis, MN 55455 USA