[Lexicog] Thanks re post-alveolar t

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Thu Feb 26 22:15:49 UTC 2004

On 26/02/2004 13:48, Rudolph C Troike wrote:

> Many thanks to those who posted helpful responses on getting a dot under
> the t in MS Word. After some further searching in the Symbol chart, I
> found a "deadletter" dot that fits under another symbol, and works well
> for this purpose. I often reflect on the oxymoronic origin of IBM, viz
> International Business Machines, which gave us the linguocentric ASCII and
> subsequent limited means to communicate on e-mail, as well as most
> original word processors. When will the US embrace Unicode?
>
>       Thanks again,
>
>       Rudy

The "deadletter" or combining dot below does work, and in Unicode it is
an acceptable alternative to using the precomposed t with dot below,
U+1E6D. But if you are using a version of Word before 2003, the
precomposed version is likely to render much better e.g. with the dot
centred properly depending on the character width.

MS Word has been Unicode-based since Word 97, and Windows since Windows
2000. Most Windows, Mac and Linux e-mail clients are fully Unicode
compatible (at least in their latest versions, and with some limitations
with complex scripts), which means that you can communicate with about
99% of the world in Unicode plain text e-mail. So you should be able to
read the following: ṭ (t with dot below, precomposed). I would say that
the other 1% have their head stuck in the sand, but they can still be
remarkably vocal.

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)