[Lexicog] postalveolar t

Benjamin Barrett bjb5 at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu Feb 26 22:41:26 UTC 2004

Sorry for the late posting, but another way to handle this is using
overstrike (superimposition). Microsoft makes this really hard to find; the
secret is to search for EQ and then look under overstrike.

The method is: Insert -> Field, then select Eq. Press the "Field Codes"
button at the bottom. In the Field Codes box that appears at the top of the
window, type

\o (X, Y)

so the entire box reads: EQ \o(X,Y)

X and Y are the two elements you want to appear superimposed over each
other.

You can also raise or lower X or Y. For your example, you could lower a
period by X points. Do this with the \s switch (command). Let's say t = X
and period = Y. Use the above equation method and enter the following in the
box (the EQ is provided by Word):

EQ \o(t, \s\do3(.))

The \s means superscript/subscript, \do means down and 3 means 3 points.
With this, you get a t with a slightly off period below it.

When you have an equation like this, you can put your mouse over it and
right click to Toggle the codes. This enables you to directly edit the code.
For best results to deal with these, selection Tools -> Options, View tab,
Field codes unchecked, Field checking set to Always.

HTH
Benjamin Barrett