[Lexicog] postalveolar t

Benjamin Barrett bjb5 at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu Feb 26 23:14:17 UTC 2004

Good point :)

I have used this only a few times when desperate, and then only for
documents I'm going to print off and use immediately or when I know the
client's use.

BB

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Kirk [mailto:peterkirk at qaya.org]
Sent: Thursday, 26 February 2004 3:04 PM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] postalveolar t

On 26/02/2004 14:41, Benjamin Barrett wrote:

> Sorry for the late posting, but another way to handle this is using
> overstrike (superimposition). Microsoft makes this really hard to
> find; the secret is to search for EQ and then look under overstrike.

Perhaps they do this because it is the last thing they want you do and
about the worst thing you can do. Microsoft provide for you fonts with
the required precomposed character, with the dot positioned by
professional typographers, and a proper user interface. Even if you were
able to do this to professional standards with a high quality publishing
program, you don't stand a chance of making the character look nice with
this kind of overstrike. Any special positioning will be totally messed
up by a change of font. The resulting document will be totally
non-portable. Please do NOT do this!!!

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)