Fw: [Lexicog] Ron Moe's approach to discovering the lexicon via semantic domains

List Facilitator lexicography2004 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 13 00:10:34 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Leman" <wayne_leman at sil.org>
To: <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 10:51 AM
Subject: [Lexicog] Ron Moe's approach to discovering the lexicon via
semantic domains

Neal, I'm glad you mentioned Ron Moe's approach. I was thinking of it when I
first posted this topic thread (name of the thread now slightly changed).
Unfortunately, Moe's technique is described in an in-house publication of
SIL. It deserves to have a wider audience. Ron is a member of this list,
which includes any linguist interested in lexicography, and I'm hoping that
Ron will contribute to this topic thread once he is back to work. I,
personally, would like to see Moe's approach described in some lexicography
journal.

Wayne Leman
  Ron Moe has a good article on developing dictionaries using Semantic
  Domains and pulling out the associated words to these domains and then
  entering them into a Shoebox database. In a workshop where several
speakers
  of the language work together, they stimulate each other and in a 2 week
  workshop with 25-30 participants, 12,000 words can be elicited. This
  article can be read in the SIL's Word and Deed 2.1 which just came out.
  Another source would be the "Outline of Cultural Material" by George
  Murdock which covers the same type of semantic domains. This can be found
  in Lingualinks Library from SIL. There is a Shoebox database included with
  these domains and related words.
  Neal Brinneman